Monday, 19 June 2017

Moving Outside Your Comfort Zone This Summer

 

Sometimes in life, things can get in the way of us being happy. Sometimes we can't control these things. I am a firm believer in weathering the storm in order to fully appreciate the sunshine that will inevitably follow. But there are also times when we create our own storms. We set ourselves up to fall. I know this because I spent most of my teenage years doing just that.

As a teenager, I was fairly preoccupied with my appearance. I had huge self confidence issues. For that reason, I hated summer. Well, I didn't hate summer, I hated what summer brought with it. I loved (and still love) long summer days; flowers blooming in every field; the smell of opening a new bottle of suncream; days at the beach filled with icecream and penny slots; and going on adventures with a picnic on your back. I hated the expectation of having to wear shorts; I hated swimming in public; I hated the jealousy I always felt seeing countless tanned, flat stomachs in crop tops. I hated that summer made me feel this way. I hate all the opportunities I missed because of it.




But I am now 21 and I swim in a bikini. I wear dresses and skirts. I don't waste my time anymore worrying if someone thinks my stomach is a bit podgy or if my arms wobble when I move them. Not everyone is made the same. So, look at these pictures as a protest against my own self doubt. It is warm so I am wearing a dress. Summers will no longer be spent in jeans and baggy jumpers.

It is not easy to work through your self-made storms. It takes a lot of time to find the cause(s) of the problem. For me, I took time off of Twitter as I found myself becoming more and more jealous of the women posting pictures on there. I stopped following insta fitness gurus and replaced them with body posi warriors. I pushed myself to wear things that scared me. Some days I wanted to run home and change back into a jumper and jeans but that is all part of the process. The first day that you wear a bodycon dress or a short skirt out, you probably won't feel amazing. Liberated, perhaps, but also quite scared. But as you keep pushing yourself, it gets easier.

My body is now celebrating. My shoulders and upper arms barely saw the light of day for about 6 years. My legs had never even heard of vitamin D. It took a lot of work but we are finally getting somewhere. And I am happy.



Dress: Topshop (here)
Bag: Primark (similar)
Sandals: New Look (here)
Sunglasses: H&M (similar)
Watch: Accurist (similar)

SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I was also really preoccupied with my image growing up, it really did effect me. Love the outfit, I can't believe the bag is from Primark - it looks so expensive. x

    LAURA ­| Laura Thinks About

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's so much pressure on girls in their preteens and teens but you learn to care less about what people think as you get older.
      I know! I don't usually go in for their bags but I love this one - I think it was only about £12!

      Delete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig