Thursday, 2 February 2017

Wearing Yellow In Edinburgh

Anyone who follows my Instagram (@laurenmusinguzi) may have noticed that I recently went on a short break with my husband to Edinburgh. This was a sort of anniversary/back to uni send-off mash up trip but who really needs an excuse to go on holiday anyway. We wanted to explore Scotland since we had neglected it a bit in the past and, being in the Lake District, it is really easy for us to travel there. We picked an ibis hotel to stay at which was about 10 minutes from the centre for £108 for two nights including breaks - such a bargain, right? And the breakfast was sensational! My expectations were low but when I saw the baked chorizo sausages and French toast with maple syrup, words can't even describe my excitement. I can't recommend that hotel enough for that price.
 
 
That really looks like Will Ferrell in the background, right?
 
 We spent most of the time there eating and wandering along the different streets taking in the sights. We also went to the National Museum which was awesome (especially the big fashion section which my man enjoyed perhaps even more than I did). There is nothing I love more than spending the day exploring a new place then returning to a hotel and diving into the big, soft marshmallow of a bed and snuggling up to watch some trash tv.
 

 
Let's pretend I had my eyes open here
 
Jumper - New Look (similar)
Jeans - Primark (similar)
Jacket - Topshop (here)
Boots - New Look (similar)
Bag - H&M (similar)


 
Foodwise, we had some excellent lunch in The Huxley where I had this coffee with almond milk and a 'superbowl' with beans, chicken, and chorizo accompanied by gluten free bread (but I can't seem to see it on their online menu anymore). Another amazing restaurant we visited was Howies - I can't recommend this place enough. The food was divine and so was the price! I had the salmon with a white sauce as my main (highly recommend) and an affogato for dessert. Both were excellent! My husband has the soup then the seafood chowder which was a soup dense meal but he was content. And after two pots of tea as well it came to £25 - incredible!
 


 
Tempting...


 
One man and his dog..

 
I had the most amazing time in Edinburgh and I would love to experience it in the summer as well. But I also want to see more of other parts of Scotland - maybe Glasgow then the Highlands.
 
Have you ever been to Edinburgh? Did you like it? Have you got any other northern UK destinations that you would like to recommend?
 

4 comments:

  1. Cor that breakfast sounds bloody amazing! These are lovely photos and they really show a side to Edinburgh that we don't normally see :) very jealous of you living in the Lake District! xxx
    Lucy @ La Lingua | Life, Travel, Italy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing! I was expecting a bog standard full English but I was pleasantly surprised. Yeah, it is lovely but I'm only there outside of term time for now xxx

      Delete
  2. Love your outfit Lauren, that jumper looks great! I've always wanted to go to Edinburgh, it looks like such a pretty city!

    Millie x // Millie’s Wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should go - it's a lovely place

      Delete