Tuesday, 24 January 2017

My Favourite Products For Curly Hair

Curls: you either love them or you have them.
I may be stretching the truth a little here but there is no denying that being a possessor of a Simba style mane can be a struggle. Whether you splash out on GHDs to sizzle it into good behaviour or go broke collecting the oil of every nut and plant the world has to offer to try to tame that frizz explosion, all of us are certainly paying the price to keep our curls looking polished. But once you have finally learnt how to care for your curls, armed yourself with all the serum and mousse weaponry, and gone to war with social pressures that present sleek, straight hair as being the most beautiful hair type, you are ready to flaunt the curls your momma gave you (or your dad - or both, yknow whoever really).
You can get out there knowing your natural hair is incredible and curls are beautiful.



First things first (I'm the realest), the world already knows that coconut oil is a gift from God and should be revered by all. What I find suits my hair type best is to use coconut oil as a hair mask before I wash my hair in order to add in a little moisture before the horror of shampooing. I put it mostly on the ends of my hair then wrap my hair in an old scarf or tshirt (cotton or silk is best on curly hair - the texture of a towel can be too harsh). I then leave it on for an hour or so then wash my hair normally with shampoo and conditioner. I find that it makes my hair softer and less prone to frizz.

 
I recently discovered this shampoo and conditioner and there is no going back for me now. I'm talking about the Palmer's Shea Formula Moisture Repair Shampoo and Conditioner. This stuff is amazing! It defines your curls, it doesn't leave your hair feeling heavy or weighed down, and it really does combat frizz (my hair is so prone to frizz so I can really vouch for this). For so long, I used shampoo and conditioner that wasn't designed for my hair type and it lead to loss of curl definition and a lot more tangles so it is amazing to finally be using a shampoo and conditioner that is designed for hair like mine.


 
My go-to for product since I was in school has always been John Frieda Frizz-Ease Curl Defining Mousse. I always scrunch this mousse into my hair when I have just got out of the shower and it makes my curls so much more defined and manageable. There is the risk of your curls going crunchy if you use too much and I don't fully love the idea of using chemicals on my hair but I couldn't leave this off of my list. They also do a frizz ease serum which I use sometimes but you have to be so sparing with it else it makes your hair look greasy.


I'm still searching for a perfect hair oil for my hair but this one by Aussie is coming quite close. It has quite a distinctive smell that lots of people seem to like based on the online reviews but for me it is slightly herby for my liking. But I am so interested to try more hair oils and find a perfect match. But I would recommend this for someone with more wavy than curly hair.

Let me know if you have tried any of these products and I would love to hear recommendations of other products for curls that everyone likes.

16 comments:

  1. Your hair looks lovely! I might give the mousse a try, I'd love to wear mine wavy more often but just takes so long to dry naturally to get the curls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should, I can't recommend it enough xx

      Delete
  2. Oh your hair is beautiful. I think curly hair is so much fun to try new styles with. Will have to check these products out :)
    http://abeautifulheart07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you! I really need to try new styles with my hair but it's so easy just wearing it down haha xx

      Delete
  3. You have gorgeous hair! My hair is curly too, so I know the struggle. I have never used a mask before washing my hair, so I'm going to give that a try. I also didn't know that the texture of a towel could be bad for hair! I've been trying to switch to cruelty free recently, so am having to find alternatives to my faves like frizz ease and Aussie. So far, the Paul Mitchell stuff is doing well! xx

    Jessthetics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah, Paul Mitchell is amazing as well, especially their leave in conditioner but I couldn't find it anywhere anymore. Hope you get on well with the hair mask!

      Delete
  4. You look amazing! Lovely photos ♡

    Do you wanna follow each other via GFC or Bloglovin? Lemme know ♥
    * Blog de la Licorne *

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish my natural hair looked as good as yours, the curls are gorgeous! I suffer from quite a lot of frizz, so I'm always looking for products to tame my mane. I'll have to check out the John Frieda Frizz Ease range next time I'm in Boots.

    Alice / Alice Grace Beauty

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get my hair to this point by keeping it heat free and not brushing it. You should definitely try the John Frieda mousse especially! Hope you get on well with it

      Delete
  6. Your hair is gorgeous! I love your curls! =)


    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  7. your hairlooks amazing.I love that palmers shampoo it sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's the absolute best shampoo I've tried tbh ❤️

      Delete
  8. Firstly.. sweetie you are SO pretty! Love love love your curly hair ( i am very jealous!) The shampoo looks good, i have frizzy hair so maybe this could be good for me!
    Rxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your hair!!! So stunning!! Although I don't have curly hair, I really enjoyed reading this post! - And hell! Palmers is the bomb! x

    ReplyDelete