Monday, 7 September 2015

Longleat House and Safari Park

Admittedly, it has been an absolute age since I last wrote a blog post. So, in true blogger style, I am opening this post with an apology for having not been around for a fair while.
In all honesty, I took a bit of an unplanned break from blogging as it was all starting to stress me out. I was posting about every day or every other day and I was pleased with myself for really getting so much content out there but I was starting to fret about how many comments I was getting, how the amount of followers I have hadn't been increasing as I would have liked, and I was focussing more on the reaction of others to get gratification about my writing rather than just writing about what I was passionate about. And I am 100% in favour of taking a break when blogging becomes less fun and more a way of measuring my own self worth through how successful my writing is. I am unsure if this makes much sense but I just felt like I needed to take a step back and focus on important things like spending time with friends and family rather than running myself ragged trying to get my page views up. One thing I will say, whilst we're discussing this, is that it will do you no good comparing your blog to that of bigger bloggers. They have worked their behinds off to get to the level they are at, I'm sure, and I have only been doing this for about 2 years - in which time, I have taken a fair few breaks. But, at the end of the day, I have learnt to feel proud of my little blog. I write about what I am passionate about and I am myself here. At the end of the day, that is more important than having 2000 followers.
Rant over.

Anyway, today's post is about a recent trip that I took with my family to Longleat Safari Park.
Some of you may not have heard of it before. It is a very big park which contains a large stately home, a small zoo, some rides, and - most excitingly - acres of land which are used as a safari park.
I have been going to this place since I was very young as my parents used to take us there for special occasions to see the animals which was always rather exciting. And, I can assure you, the excitement hasn't worn off.


 






One of my favourite things about Longleat is Longleat House. It is absolutely huge and is still inhabited by the owners - although most of it is open to the general public. We went on a guided tour inside which I would totally recommend. The only down side was that you are only allowed to take pictures in one side of the house and the side of the house that we took a tour of was the side where photography was prohibited.
The tour we took was interesting though as the owners had decorated it in a very unusual and contemporary way. There was also a large collection of local artwork which was really interesting to look at.



We then went to the zoo bit where they had lots of animals like reptiles and smaller animals. This little fella caught my eye as he was full on posing for the camera which made me chuckle. He got that 'look wistfully into the distance' pose down to a T.





















 
We then headed out into the safari section in our car. If you have been to Longleat before, you will know about the monkey section. I remember when I was little, one monkey ripped off our car aerial. I found it hilarious at the time - my dad didn't though!
In true Longleat style, most of the animals were soaking up the rays or having a little nap but we still managed to spy a few.
And can we just acknowledge how cute that baby monkey is?! I mean, how adorable!

I hope you enjoyed this post and I would love to hear if you have ever been to Longleat or anywhere similar. And I promise I will be posting again soon.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. What a cool place! I'd love to take a trip there!

    And never fear the blogging break. Sometimes I get in my head about not getting enough comments or not spending enough time with my blog or with the blogs of others but then I remember all of the great things I'm doing with my life that sometimes takes me from my blog. Blogs need to be labors of love and not of requirement. Can wait to see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand your rant, when it gets to that point of comparing it's so unhealthy and it's not a good place to be. You have to be proud of yourself and what you have accomplished and you are doing damn well! The Zebras are so adorable and it sounds like you had such a good time!

    http://rainbow-roseblossom.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Longleat! I haven't been in ages though, the last time I went would have been in year 8. Oh how time flys :)

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I'm so jealous! I have never been to Longleat but so many people I know have and I'm sitting here like 'why haven't I gone?!'
    Your photos make me want to go so much more.

    Rachael at broomfie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to go to Longleat. It looks like such a fun day out and your pictures capture that beautifully. What camera do you use?

    Beth x
    www.ProFemaleBlogger.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing place!!! The animals look so healthy!

    The Vintage Owl | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Longleat may well be one of my favourite days out ever- the combination of a zoo and a fancy country house is just too darn brilliant. Although I did nearly get murdered by a rhino... xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to Longleat a few year back and I loved it, I will defiantly be going again soon!

    GreyWalls 

    ReplyDelete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig