Friday, 5 June 2015

Great Places To Visit Outside Of London

Scrolling through Bloglovin' something has become apparent to me. Everyone seems to be away lapping up the sun in a variety of stunning locations whereas I am still here braving the windy and rainy British excuse for Spring. So, I have decided to compile a list of some of my favourite places to visit in the UK that are outside of London as everyone knows London is a great place to visit but it isn't the only great place to visit.

Source

Tintagel
Tintagel in Cornwall was somewhere that my family visited almost every summer when I was a kid and I have very fond memories of the place. Almost everywhere in Cornwall is beautiful and well worth a visit but I would really recommend going to Tintagel at least once. There they have the ruins of what was supposedly King Arthur's castle. They also do amazing cream teas and there is a gorgeous beach with lots of rockpools and little caves to explore. Also they do battle re-enactments which were always exciting as a kid. 


Exeter
I might be a bit biased as Exeter was the nearest city to where I lived in Devon when I was younger - and where I still live when I'm not at uni. But it really is a great city. There is a big, stunning cathedral and a cathedral green where you can sit and have a picnic or go sit outside one of the coffee shops situated around the green. There are loads of shops in Exeter as well as lots of history. There are even a series of underground passages which were originally used for water transportation but were used as bomb shelters during the war - it is something really interesting to do if you get tired of checking out the shops. 

Hever Castle
Hever Castle is the childhood home of Anne Boleyn - you may have seen the post I wrote when I visited it (if not you can read it HERE). The interior is amazing and they also have a lot of lovely gardens and gift shops with Boleyn merch which everyone needs in their life.


Bath
I have been to Bath a few times and I am pretty much in love with it (you can read my posts about my visits to Bath HERE and HERE). Every year they host a Jane Austen Festival too which I went to last year and am going to again this year - it is a really great event.


Cotswolds
I love how pretty the Cotswolds are. There are lots of little towns and villages full of pretty little shops and there is an abundance of antique shops. Also there are lots of stately homes to visit. It is definitely a lovely area to visit.


Highclere Castle
Otherwise known as Downton Abbey, Highclere Castle is a lovely place to visit (you can see my post on it HERE). The inside of the castle was gorgeous - although unfortunately you can't take pictures - and there are pretty gardens and a lovely little gift shops. I live for the gift shops.



Dartmoor and Exmoor
These are two moors in Devon and they are well worth a visit - especially if you are a hiking fanatic. There are wild horses and lots of other wildlife that roam free here. It is a beautiful area and, I think I am right in saying, it is a national park area so it is protected from being built upon.


Rochester
I have been to Rochester once before for a Dickens' festival in the winter and it was lovely. The town has links to Charles Dickens and is generally just a nice place to visit. It is has really nice traditional architecture and pretty cobbled streets. 


Canterbury
Canterbury is another place which I absolutely adore. There are gorgeous traditional buildings and, of course, there is the huge cathedral (although I haven't ever been inside as it is quite expensive and I'm on a budget). There are really lovely parks there and a variety of cute, little independent shops which I really love.


Rural Devon
Maybe I am a bit biased as this is where I grew up but it is a really beautiful area. The area I grew up in is the Blackdown Hills which is a gorgeous area. If you love spending your time wandering around country lanes and taking in the fresh air, then I am pretty sure you will love Devon. In this area, it is mostly made up of pretty, little villages which usually have B&Bs that you can stay in.

Cardiff
Of course, I have to include Cardiff in this as it is my uni city. Although it rains a lot here, there is always something to do. They have vintage fairs every so often in the City Hall and markets in the town. There is every shop you could ever need (including a four storey Primark) and a load of gorgeous parks. There is even a big castle - which I haven't actually visited yet. It is a lovely place and the people here are really friendly - especially for a city.
Weston-Super-Mare
Weston is somewhere that I really love. I was born in Weston and lived there for a few years and we still go back there almost every other weekend to visit family. Of course, the pier is a big attraction and was something which I adored as a kid (the old pier was, in my opinion, better than the new one - anyone remember the old ghost train?). I also used to love going to the amusements and playing the penny slots. Nowadays they have redone the seafront and there are loads of swanky restaurants to choose from. There is also the very old pier really far along the seafront and nice bit of beach. On the main stretch of seafront itself there are donkey rides and bouncy castles and other attractions. They have things like a small version of the London Eye in the summer and a steam fair. In the town they have a little museum too which I always used to visit and love dearly.
I hope you enjoyed this post and I would love to hear which places in the UK are your favourite.
SHARE:

15 comments

  1. Such great photos !
    xoxo,

    atwednesdaysiwearpink.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your lovely comment!! :)

    I've been to London just once (and definitely LOVED it!) and already heard of Canterbury - I really wanna visit this place. :) Amazing post, girl!

    XX, Sara

    http://saritschka.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go to school in Rochester and we always get to go to the cathedral and down the high street. I've been to Dartmoor and Exmoor too- and thought it was lovely. Thanks for an amazing post :)
    ~hopeasaurusofficial.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. that candy floss cart tho! hehe these places look amazing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to LOVE visiting Weston as a kid! Cardiff is one of my favourite cities and I do adore Bath, it's so scenic. I'm getting married in the Cotswolds! :)

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  6. great pictures dear
    hopefully one day will get to visit london and tour one of this places
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sad to say that I've not been to any of these places! I'm from up north so that's my excuse! I really want to visit Bath xo

    http://rachelnicole.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cousin actually visited Bath once, and she prefered it over London! She said it was so beautiful, and so calming. I'll visit Exeter and Bath one day, I think it would be amazing <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really want to go to bath, it looks like such a pretty place

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. there's a USA beauty giveaway inc lorac, tarte etc on my blog! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in UK last month! I went to Leicester and London center,
    but I really want to go to Devon and Bath next time c; Thanks
    for the travel tips and hotspots share! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was really helpful! I'm really trying to visit more places in the UK at the moment and I will add these to the list. I'm actually planning on going to Exmoor next weekend, really looking forward to it! x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello how are you ... I loved your blog... you have a unique talent ... therefore continues even now if you can just pass the there in my blogger .... I thank you in advance for your attention .... follow me kisses .. http://jucy-decor.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear you singing Cardiff's praises!! xx

    ReplyDelete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig