Wednesday, 29 October 2014

Bath Fashion Museum

You may recall that way back in September my auntie and I went on a trip to Bath to attend the Jane Austen Festival (if you missed it, you can read the post here). On that day we decided to have a look around the Fashion Museum. I am pleased that we did because it was amazing seeing all the really old dresses as well as some more recent ones - including, to my amazement, some dresses that Princess Diana wore accompanied by the letter she wrote to the designer.
We were given a little audio tour thing which looked like a phone out of Clueless which told us all the info about each dress or collection of dresses within the exhibition. We also got to see how the dresses were stored and found an almighty collection of shoes and bags - large enough to rival even my collection of bags.
Also, because I love to mess around, I was thrilled to find there was a dressing up section. Unfortunately some other people were trying on the dresses but I had a lot of fun with the hats.
All in all, it was a great exhibition and something I would advise everyone to go and see. The also have a great gift shop - just saying.
Caution: photo heavy


 
Love these yellow Georgian gowns. When will it be back in style to wear these, may I ask?



 
Who could turn down a gentleman wearing so fine a coat?

 
Love this print. It's so nice. Let's just hope Primark are taking their inspiration for the S/S collection from Georgian day gowns..



A mini little doll mantua dress. How cute!




Proper mantua dresses. Have the utmost respect for any woman who wore one of these back in days of yore. It must have bliming well hurt.


 
A Miss Bennet dress.

 
Lydia, Kitty and Wickham, perhaps?





Victorian dresses. Loving the detail on the hem of the middle one.



Looking suave.
Worst picture of me ever but it's not everyday that you get to wear a funky hat.
Also the cocoon things behind me are underskirts - I think (and hope!).




The underground shoe collection. A necessity for every modern woman.




 
These creep me out but I thought I would include them in case we have any mid to late 20th century fashion fanatics with us today.

 
Danny and Sandy. Taking time out of their busy schedule of drinking milkshake and hanging around aqueducts to stop and say hi.

 
The Diana outfits...






 
 
Now onto the sparkly dresses (yay!)
 


 
You guys, do you think they would let me borrow this to get married in?! I'm not getting married or anything but you never know. Gotta plan early...
Also, isn't it the most gorgeous dress ever?!



 
Planning to embrace something similar to that green outfit soon.
 

 
Love the detail on this.

 
Gatsby suits for the win.
 
I hope you enjoyed this post and I would love to hear which piece was your favourite?
Mine was the sparkly wedding dress. Or maybe the mantua - they are so unusual.
SHARE:

9 comments

  1. Wow, The dresses are simply works of art, love the yellow one ;)

    besos,
    M
    http://theflowerduet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh the sparkly wedding dress is to DIE for!!! Ahhhh all of them! I too am waiting for the day when 18th century dresses come back into style. Give me a corset for the rest of my life! I want to live in this museum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this museum!! One of my favourite places to visit. It looks like you had a great time : )

    Gemma
    Faded Windmills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo I love this I want to visit, that wedding dress is stunning!

    Kariss
    www.shystrangemanic.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks fascinating! There are so many things to see in Bath, I NEED to visit ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This actually looks so cool, and a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love looking at old clothes, I went to a museum with my uni and it was so interesting!

    Eilidh from Velvet-Winter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sparkly wedding dress- so pretty! I'll have to see if I get a chance to visit this place while I'm in Bath, it looks great :)
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous dresses! I'm really glad you shared so many - I didn't get to visit when I went to Bath earlier this year because I had a boy with me and boys are rubbish and don't like dresses :p xxx

    ReplyDelete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig