Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Small Antique Haul

As some of you long term readers may have guessed, I am something of an antique fiend. I love going to flea markets, antique fairs, vintage fairs, carboot sales and charity shops and spending the day searching for 'hidden treasure'. With my auntie and uncle both being antique dealers and my younger sister being mad for collecting antique cranberry glass, I am never alone in my search to own a chunk of history.
The items in this post are things that I bought when I went to a big flea market at Shepton Mallet (they do the best flea markets and antique fairs, in my opinion). I didn't really buy a huge amount but I really like what I did manage to find.
Also I found an amazing item there but then it was sold whilst I was trying to decide whether to purchase as I would have had to spend all my money on it. But it was so good. Basically it was a little wire display rack from a sweet shop from around the 50s and it still had to Cadbury's prices and logo on it. It's better to have loved and lost..



I have to admit, I do love postcards and I think it's so romantic an idea of going away then sending someone a written note sending your love and sharing your experiences with them.
Then I found vintage postcards. I am quite smitten.
I love reading what people have written to each other and it's so personal that it really gives you such a sense of who they were.
One thing I would love to do in the future would be to track down the decedents of the people who sent the postcards and give them the postcard.






Isn't it so exciting reading what they wrote?! Everyone had such good handwriting too.
I bought this one as I loved the image of the ballroom as it is so grand.





I love how pretty much all the person said was that they were ill whilst they were there. How pleased would you be to receive a postcard just stating that the person hadn't felt well?!
And the stamps are so interesting too!




I also got this little Easter card because I thought it was adorable.



 
Finally, and most excitingly for me, I bought this framed theatre poster from 1834. I got it at quite a good price and I can't believe I own something so old! I think the frame is also pretty old as it is falling apart on the back but I think that adds to it's charm.
 
I hope you enjoyed this post and I would love to hear what you have all been up to lately.
 
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I am obsessed with this!!! I love all of this! That theater poster!! Ahhh! I'm also now obsessed with finding old postcards. I love finding old things with bits of writing on them. It gives them such a sense of life.

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I love the postcards & the thatre poster. It must really interesting to find out what's written on the postcards xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic poster, and I loved reading the backs of those postcards - the ill person sounds rather cheery(!) don't they? :p xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always touching to read letters/cards written a long time ago. What lovely picks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love flea markets and antique fairs, too.
    I am so fascinated by old things. (:
    And I think it's the most wonderful idea
    to give the postcards back to their original owner/recipient or
    their descendants.

    dearmisscoco.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting!!! I was pretty excited to find a book of Black Beauty that was given to my Great great Grandmother in 1896 when clearing out my Grandad's house. I was the only family member who really wanted it which I found a little sad. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. These postcards are gorgeous, it makes me wish it was still common to send them today. There's a really lovely vintage store near my town, but I havent had as great of luck that you had. I just discovered your blog and am definitely going to become a regular reader. Thank you for sharing!

    Would you mind checking out my blog as well?
    americanplastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone wrote so pretty back then, right?! Why can't we do it now? Maybe it's cause we all write so ugly now we can't read letters being sent haha
    xMM
    THE LAME LIP
    INSTAGRAM
    LOOKBOOK

    ReplyDelete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig