Saturday, 27 September 2014

Jane Austen Festival & Bath

Recently I went to something INCREDIBLY exciting which was, as you may have guessed from the title of this post, the Jane Austen Festival in Bath. My auntie and I only went for the day and it really was one of those days where everything is so amazing and you just feel the need to take pictures of everything. We got the train to my grandparent's house (which is closer to Bath than my house or, indeed, my auntie's house) the day before and stayed there overnight so were able to set out to Bath, via another short train journey, quite early and spend the whole day there.
 

 
I have a certain love for small alleyways - especially after visiting the Drosselgasse in Germany.


 
 
We then went into Patisserie Valerie with the intention of getting a cup of tea and a pastry for breakfast but ended up ordering proper big breakfasts.
I had the vegetarian breakfast which included a feta cheese frittata, which was unusual to say the least, and my auntie ordered Eggs Florentine with a side of bacon. And we had a pot of tea too - with actual tea leaves in it, which I found so exciting!
Also the pic of my auntie's breakfast looks like the panda is going to eat it...
 

 
After breakfast we then climbed the mountainous track up to the top of town to the antiques centre for a bit of bargain hunting. Unfortunately we really weren't loving it there so left empty-handed.

 
After that we made our way to the Assembly Room to see all the people dressed up in Regency attire set off across town.

 
When I saw the men dressed up as soldiers it took all my willpower not to scream 'THE MILITIA!!' and drop my handkerchief on the floor beside them - they pick it up, then you're introduced! 








 
Some of the costumes were amazing - I loved the outfit of the girl in the lilac dress.


 
We then went into the Assembly Rooms to see the exhibition of the fashion through the ages - which I have a post lined up about. Then we had a look around the actual Assembly Rooms and they were stunning.





 
I think they were setting this up for a wedding reception. Imagine having your wedding reception there! It would be amazing. 





 
I think this was inside the Guild Hall where we went to go to the Regency Fair.





 
The fair...




 
We then decided to go shopping and mooch around the city.



 
Had Jaffa cake ice cream from here.

 
Oldest building in Bath.


 
And what day would be complete without tiramisu?!
 
I hope you enjoyed this post - sorry about the amount of pictures!

9 comments:

  1. There are so many great events happening in Bath, and yet we haven't even visited the city yet!
    Looks like you had a lot of fun. I heard about this festival, and then forgot about it, and now I have to wait a year until I get to go! :)

    Also, those costumes look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great, I'd love to visit Bath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you pretty please post your pictures extra large! I love seeing your photos! The trips are so exciting!


    redhairegirlincheltenham.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to visit Bath! Looks like you had a fab trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious sounding day! I love Bath, it's so beautiful- and everyone looks wonderful in their costumes too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like such fun! I want to live in a town just like Bath. It looks like a perfect little dream.

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some beautiful buildings and interiors! I would be mental noting mint on white for my future home!

    I hope you had fun in Bath!

    Em x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nah, that's just how we dress normally in Bath ;-)
    In my job we quite often have events in the Guildhall, Pump Rooms and the Roman Baths so I always end up not appreciating the beauty of them (plus I've lived within 10 miles of Bath for over 30 years so I can remember the city looking a bit worse for wear in the 1980s). It's really interesting to look at someone else's pictures and see it from their point of view! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there!!! You have such a cute blog name!!! I'm beyond excited about this post!!! I would love so much to go to the festival! I have dressed up as a character a few times for occasions such as world book day and I would love to be surrounded by ladies in Pelisses!!!
    You had a super time and have inspired me to return to this wonderful place!!!
    SO nice to meet you, I like your blogging style! X

    ReplyDelete