Thursday, 25 September 2014

How To Be A Woman - Caitlin Moran


It has been a while since I have felt so strongly about a book as I do about the AMAZING Caitlin Moran's 'How To Be A Woman'. Since picking it up, I have literally engulfed this book. It's one of those books which keep you up late reading and you have to keep telling yourself to put the book down as the words start to blear together then suddenly you come across another idea or just something really funny which makes you read on.

Before I go on, I had better share what this book is about. Basically, it's described as 'part memoir, part rant' and discusses stages of Moran's adolescence and journey into womanhood. Some parts are, for a prude like me, a bit awkward to read but, I think, are also important as they illustrate Moran's opinions really well. The book is well written and full of personality but also manages to piece together feminist ideas and fantastic comedy. It is a pretty good book.

 

One of my favourite things about this book is the theme throughout seems to be the idea that women shouldn't feel obliged to do things that boys aren't having to do. Such as, feeling like you should be beautiful and fashionable and princess-like all the time. But the other part of this, which I think is also so important, is that WOMEN CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT. If you want to wake up 2 hours earlier than everyone else to straighten your hair and put on your makeup to nip to the shop for a pint of milk, then do it BUT don't do it because you feel that's what you have to do. You are no less of a women without makeup and with scruffy hair (else I would be wholly a man tbh).
The main message is just that women should be at liberty to do what they want without feeling pressured to do things or act in a certain way in order to conform to the 'rules of femininity'.

Overall this book is amazing and such an important read for men and women alike. Y'know those times when men say 'what do you need feminism for now?', just give them this book. And every women should just read this. You need to - if you want.

Also this book has changed how I speak internally - I'm all 'don't let The Man bring you down'.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I want to read this but I've heard mixed thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum has that book at home maybe Ill give it a read!
    thriftylilpixie.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete