Saturday, 12 July 2014

Canterbury

I have to say, I really do love Canterbury. There is something about the buildings that is just so beautiful and there is a lovely mixture of small, independent shops and big stores. They also have gorgeous parks and historic buildings - *cough* the cathedral *cough*.
If you saw a recent post that I wrote about Hever Castle (link here) or follow me on Twitter then you may have heard the reason behind this venture of ours from the West Country over to Kent. Well, rather excitingly, my poem was shortlisted in a poetry competition and I was invited to read it in Westgate Gardens, Canterbury. I was so terrified about reading in front of people but it was also really nice to hear everyone else's poetry and meet everyone (their poems were amazing!). And, even more excitingly, I won my category in the competition so my poem is going to be painted onto the underpath in Westgate Gardens so, if you're ever in the area, feel free to go and have a look!




Canterbury really does have some beautiful buildings. I especially like all the houses with wooden beams in the area - we just drove around ooing and aahing at all the pretty buildings.


Sorry for the bad picture but had to include this pic of the west city gate (I think...).



Some shots coming into Westgate Gardens.


My poem displayed (awaiting it's time to be painted on the wall). Unfortunately, though, I can't claim ownership of those fun pictures beneath it.



This icecream was so nice - had loads of chocolate sauce in it!





The cathedral! There were loads of people gathered around so I wasn't able to get a great pic.

Love the detail on that building.



We went to Patisserie Valerie and bought some gorgeous cakes! Mine was the tiramisu slice and it was gorgeous.
Please excuse the shoddy pictures - took them in the car whilst we were in the multi-storey car park

10 comments:

  1. such a pretty place!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ps. you can win a cute Dahlia trench in my little giveaway! click here

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the buildings, I want to go there one day :)

    Love, Sara Wallflower
    http://sarawallflower.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on winning! Canterbury looks lovely, reminds me a bit of Chester where I grew up

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been, I'll have to check it out at some point!
    www.shystrangemanic.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely lovely photos! Make it bigger..! Thanks for sharing this..

    http://everybodyssunshine.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos! I really want to visit Canterbury now. Congratulations on winning your poetry competition - how amazing that something you wrote will be read by so many people :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice photos!

    http://closertotheedgeblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Canterbury looks so beautiful. I've never visited before, but I'll have to pop it onto my list of places to go. Congratulations on winning the category - you should share your poem here! :) xxx P.S. I hope my postcard reached you ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so nice, photos are great! :)

    bequiethere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks lovely, great photos & congrats on your poem xx

    ReplyDelete