Thursday, 22 May 2014

Collective Haul: May

So, in true blogger style, I am opening with an apology about the lack of posts recently. I have had exams and have tried to spend every waking moment revising. Fortunately I don't have another exam for about 10 days so I have decided to grab this moment of freedom from revision to bring to you a haul post which I have been intending to write for a while now.
Recently I have been very fortunate to have a won a book review competition in which I reviewed The Great Gatsby (you can see my review here) and, therefore, I received an Amazon voucher to buy lots of books with. So, today I have some of the books to share with you as well as some other things I have picked up over the last couple of months - most of which are from car boot sales (one of my favourite places to go) and charity shops.




Some of you long term readers may know of my obsession with both antiques and tins and thus be able to appreciate how much I love this. It is a State Express Cigarette tin with a Little Bow Peep design. It is made of tin and is wooden inside. I would put it at being from around the 50s or 60s, which is the age of most tins by this brand, but I cannot find anyone online who knows the exact date that these were produced.
I picked this up for £3 at a car boot sale, which was very good luck. I was with my sister and I told the lady on the stall I really liked the tin 'not that I encourage smoking'. 


At the same boot sale I picked up these two books. I got 'Nocturnes' by Kazuo Ishiguro as 'Never Let Me Go' has been on my TBR list for ages since I saw the film and I am certain anything by this man will be amazing. I also got 'Crime and Punishment' as it is just one of those books that I feel I should own.



Another thing people may or may not know about me is that I collect old books - I know, rock'n'roll lifestyle. So, a few weeks ago I returned home and my mum said she had a surprise for me. She had bought me these two gorgeous books from a charity shop. One is a German dictionary from the 1930s and the other is a copy of Canterbury Tales which has also been on my TBR list for forever. 


I then went onto Amazon and made a few purchases...


I picked up 'Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained' as this seems to be one of those books which every English Lit student has to read. However it is all in poetry form (a bit like The Rime of the Ancient Mariner) which may be a struggle. I also got 'North and South' as I have heard so many people raving about this book. 


I bought a copy of 'Der Besuch der Alten Dame' (The Visit of the Old Lady) by Duerrenmatt as I have read 'Die Physiker' (The Physicists) by him and found it really interesting and my German teacher said this was his most famous play so I have decided to give it a go - wish me luck! For some slightly lighter reading, comparatively, I got Miranda Hart's book which I am so excited to read as she is so funny.


Two books that I feel quite embarrassed not have yet read: 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' and 'The Fault In Our Stars'. Anyone who hasn't been living under a rock recently will be able to guess why I have bought these - I have not met a single person who doesn't recommend these.


I picked up Caitlin Moran's book as my best friend has read and wholly recommended it - my first proper feminist book *yay*. I also got 'The Book Thief' as everyone says it is great and I love Germany and I love reading different viewpoints about the war (anyone see Generation War? I loved it - but it was v. depressing and didn't depict Polish people in a hugely complementary light which wasn't hugely accurate in this area). But I opened up the book and, as I know some German, I read one bit where the words were in German and it contained a few swear-words (tut tut)


I picked up this DVD of the BBC adaptation of Jane Austen's Emma which is my second fave of her works - obviously P&P is my favourite! Also I am slightly in love with Jonny Lee Miller.



I won these two items in the aforesaid competition run by Distinctive Chesterfields who make lovely chairs and sofas.


I picked up this oversized stripy tee from Primark as I had nothing summery to wear and really liked this - it is very basic and casual but nice for £3.50.

I am sorry this post has gone on for a bit but I hope you enjoyed it. I have enjoyed writing a chatty post.
Also, just as a side note, it was my birthday yesterday and I was wondering if you would like to see a 'what I got for my birthday' kind of post? If you do, please let me know.
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. So many beautiful books, I feel like I need to issue a warning though, don't do what I do and start reading them now; save the pretty books for *after* your exams!

    Happy (belated) Birthday!

    Joy // www.theharpy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great book choices, there's a few of my absolute favs in there! I also love the tin! I love antiques too! I have a book giveaway going on if you want to enter: http://shystrangeandalittlebitmanic.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/infinity-drake-sons-of-scarlatti-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such good book choices - The Perks of being a Wallflower is absolutely one of my favourites and How to be a Woman is genuinely laugh out loud funny (I really, really hope you like it - I think people expect a book about feminism to be boring or preachy, but my face hurt from laughing after reading this).

    I'd love to read a 'What I got for my birthday' post - I'm nosey and love a post like that!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! Old books are so beautiful :) North and South is really such a good book. And I see you're a fellow Austen fan! Your blog is really lovely, by the way.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig