Saturday, 1 February 2014

Scrimper Saturday: Student Recipes

So, soon I will be leaving the nest and heading off for uni without any cooking skill whatsoever - well, I can bake so I'm sure I can survive on sponge cakes..? Recently though I came across the Student Recipes website which is great as it is free, has easy to make recipes and for a range of people. What's more is that I am hopefully going to be vegetarian at university as I was for 2 years but, as I could't choose my own food, it was difficult to maintain. Anyway, they have a whole section for student veggies and the recipes are actually nice!
So, I have decided to share some of the recipes I am most eager to try out with you all and if you do try any of these be sure to let me know!



Chocolate Mud Pie

Ingredients
Outside:
Ready made pie crust/flan and pie top
Inside: a ready made round chocolate cake (from scratch or already shop made)
Or-
Pie crust/flan base
Cake batter mix
Or-
2 premade cakes
And chocolate frosting
Melted chocolate
Decoration:
Melted chocolate
Sprinkles and toppings of your choice

Method
Place chocolate cake into pie crust/ flan base.
Fill in the gaps round the cake with the melted chocolate

optional: place a round pastry pie top onto the cake, and the melted chocolate should seal it down
or-
you could even put cake batter/mix into the pie crust and then cook it from inside the pie
or-
crumble 2 premade cakes (from scratch or from shop) together in a bowl. Add the chocolate frosting and mix it all together till you get a doughy consistency.
Spread the dough all over the bottom of the pie crust and then top with melted chocolate or put chocolate cream on top.

Decorate how you with with any topping, sprinkles and sweets you like!



Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry

Ingredients
·         100g red split lentils
·         2 lg sweet potatoes, cubed
·         1 red pepper, chopped
·         1 jar of your favourite curry sauce (500g)
·         1 can chopped tomatoes
·         1 red onion, finely chopped
·         100g frozen peas
·         1 tbsp. oil
·         Fresh coriander (if you have it)
·         Rice, to serve.
·          
·         Serves 4, great for freezing

Method

1) fry the onion and pepper in the oil for 5 mins, then add the potatoes and cook for another 5 mins.
2) add the tomatoes, lentils and curry sauce and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potato soft
3) add the frozen peas and cook for 3 mins more
4) season with pepper and coriander and serve




Ingredients
13oz block puff pastry
8 tablespoons green pesto
5oz cherry tomatoes
12 pitted black olives

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celsius.
2. Roll the pastry on a floured surface and cut into four 12cm squares then place these squares on a greased baking sheet.
3. Score the squares gently with a knife 1cm in from the edges to make a border.
4. Divide half the pesto evenly between the pastry squares, spreading it inside the border.
5. Cut the tomatoes in half and place these on top. Dot the olives equally on each of the squares.
6. Bake for 20 minutes until puffy and golden.
7. Dot with the remaining pesto whilst hot.




Ingredients
4 large or extra large eggs
8 1/2 ounces nutella (weigh this out on a scale)

Method
1. Grease a 6 or 7 inch springform pan (the ones where the bottom can be removed).
2. Line with parchment paper.
3.Preheat oven to 350 fahrenheit/ 180 celsius/ gas 4.
5. Beat eggs until tripled in size. This is crucial. It should take about 6 minutes.
6.Weigh out the nutella into a microwavable bowl and microwave for 20 seconds so its softer.
7.Add in 1/3 of the eggs.
8. Gently stir in the eggs with a spatula.
10.Repeat 3 times with the rest of the eggs. Do not put it in all together.
11. Pour batter into springfoam tin.
12.Bake for 20-25 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean.
13.Let cake cool completely before removing from pan and cutting and serving.




Ingredients
Syrup -maple,honey,etc. the stuff you might put on pancakes
Peanut butter- or whatever substitute, maybe nutella
Crackers/chips/toast - or whatever you want your 'sauce' on

Method
Mix the syrup with you peanut butter
one part syrup two parts peanut butter or until you find the mixture to your liking
then spread on or dip in whatever you want

I hope you enjoyed this post and I look forward to trying these recipes out in the future.
You can tweet me at @TheEmeraldDove. 

5 comments:

  1. Ooh that curry looks divine! I'll have to give it a try! Curry is my absolute favorite!

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  2. is.there a vegan recipe for the 2 ingredient cake??? seems yum!
    bon apetit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so good! :)

    It would mean the world to me if you could check out my blog. I'm sort of new and I would love your feedback :)

    AJ | TheAJMinute | @TheAJMinute

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really cool. Thanks for sharing the site! I'd call myself an average cook but I think that's because I often cook without recipes sooo... hahaha! These do look simpler to follow than some fancy cookbooks I've seen.

    The Pesto, Tomato and Olive Tartlet looks deeeeeeeeelish. Though ont he iage you used, there's a yellow thing on it... is that pineapple? =D

    That Chocolate cake image looks incredible. I can't believe the recipe only 2 ingredients!! I wonder how it tastes without flour and butter?

    This s so kewl :3 thanks again for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the cooking. I'm veggie and make very lazy dinners when home alone (my boyfriend is Head Chef in our house). One of my favourites is burritos - you only need tinned kidney beans in chilli sauce, iceberg lettuce, cheese and tortilla wraps. Pile lettuce, beans, and grated cheese into wraps. Fold up sides like a burrito. Cook at 160 for 15 minutes. Done :) xxx

    ReplyDelete