Friday, 27 December 2013

The Empty Shelf Challenge

I have just stumbled across a wonderful challenge which I am going to take part in and really wanted to share with you. The initiative was started by Jon Acuff who writes an amazing blog called Stuff Christians Like which is one of my favourite blogs ever - seriously, go and check it out now! You can read his original post here.



'Find an empty a shelf in your house somewhere. Every book you read from now until December 31, 2014 goes on the shelf. At the end of the year, I guarantee you will have read more than you did in 2013. Best of all, you’re scientifically more likely to accomplish something when you have people working on it with you. '

I am starting on January 1st and thus attempting to complete my imminent New Year's resolution of reading more. Hopefully I will get through some of my many unread books (I probably have about 40 unread books - at least).



The only problem is that a move is hopefully coming my way next autumn to a certain exciting place - well, if any of these particular institutions will accept me following my exam results in August. Have I given it away? Yep, 2014 is university year for me - whoo! Most people are excited about freedom to party all night and do what they want whereas I am so excited about the prospect of a 24 hour library - I mean, how cool is that?! Anyway, I digress. 

It says on Jon's blog that the hashtag for this challenge is #EmptyShelf - so get tweeting! You can also come and chat to me on Twitter at @TheEmeraldDove. 

I hope you enjoyed this post and I would love to hear if anyone else is taking part. Also, check out Jon's blog - it is really funny and great. 
Also, hope you all had a great Christmas and will have an amazing New Years!  

4 comments:

  1. I'm so going to do this!! I really want to read more and got loads of books for Christmas...It's just a case of finding an empty shelf in my house!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea - my resolution last year was to read one book a month and I definitely exceeded my expectations. Having the resolution prompted me to make more time for reading, as it's something I enjoy so much I have to be careful not to spend too much time with my head in a book, but I think I had the balance perfect this last year :) good luck with your empty shelf! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely want to participate! I've been looking for a book challenge to do in the coming year, and this one looks feasible. I've heard of some people going for 100 books a year, but I think anything under 2/month would be pretty impossible for me, as I'm also hoping to start my (postgraduate) studies in September.

    adventuresinhel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love Jon Acuff! this is a great idea, i'm going to try to do it xx
    mahsak.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete