Sunday, 29 December 2013

Looking Back Over 2013

I decided to put together this post about my past year and some highlights of the year. I am so thankful for such a great year and I just want to say a special thanks to everyone who reads this blog (it sure does make me happy!) and let's hope that the next year is just as good or even better.



Friends

This year I feel as though I have made some really great friendships. I was contemplating earlier how happy I was to have started this blog purely because of all the lovely people I have met through it (well, not in real life yet). I am now friends, first and foremost, with a wonderful chum from across the pond called Emma who is my pen pal and I am really enjoying getting to know her (and without wanting to sound weird, but I know it will sound weird, I have already planned to invite Emma to my future wedding if I ever happen to get married). And, of course, about 20 different people who I feel close to through this blog and I read their posts and they often leave me lovely little comments. I have also been able to spend time meeting up with old friends from school who went to different colleges and it has been such a pleasure seeing them all. As well as old friends I have been spending time with people I have met at college and my bestest ever pal (who writes a lovely theological blog) and I feel we have all become closer through the year and we certainly have had ups and downs but it has really brought us closer supporting each other through that. The final thing I want to mention whilst we are aboard the friendship is I have loved attending my college's Christian Union and getting to know everyone in my Church better - I can safely say that some of the most generous and loving people I have ever met were through either the Church or CU.

Faith

I think 2013 has been quite the year for growing and maturing in faith. I feel as though I have become more defined in what I believe in instead of just following what I though Christians were meant to believe. I have become more involved in the Church and just feel a lot more trusting in God having a plan for my life than I did before. Also I feel closer to being ready for baptism at this point now and having seen a few member of my Church be baptised recently it has really drawn me towards it.

Confidence

So, this is not the kind of thing I tend to discuss on my blog but anyone who has met me will know that I am very shy but over this year I feel a lot stronger in myself. I have no 'overcome' my shyness but I feel like I can do more things independently which I would have felt really nervous about doing before. Every week I go to town by myself by bus and work in a bookshop which, with having to talk to so many people, would have once been a terrifying concept to me.

Travel

You may have noticed that this year I have been on holiday quite a lot. I have taken a few trips with my auntie which I have really enjoyed and have been able to visit places I hadn't been before. I think the highlight was probably visiting Downton Abbey (AKA Highclere Castle) in the summer which was amazing.

Family

Family-wise it has been a very nice year. I am so happy to have everyone together and just to have a bit of fun and enjoy ourselves. My family do really mean a lot to me and I think I will value them even more in the next year when I fly the nest, obvs grade dependent nest flying so you never can be too sure, and will be desperately missing everyone and missing the home cooked meals when I have to eat Tesco Value ready meals every night of the week.

So, this was a very soppy post but I hope you enjoyed it. Also, to anyone waiting for specific posts for me - for instance, people who sent me Secret Santa gifts which I haven't posted about - I am very sorry and promise I will be posting them after this one. Or maybe after my Resolutions posts...sorry!
I hope you enjoyed the post and I will speak to you all soon!
Also you can come and chat to me night or day on Twitter at @TheEmeraldDove.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely 2013! I can't believe how fast this year has flown by... here's to 2014 being even better! :)

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing pictures! Looks like you had a great year, especially the travel part :) Wish you the best for 2014 gorgeous!

    http://www.mursway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you've had a great year! I love your blog! It's so cool!!!
    I hope you have a great year, 2014!

    Happy holidays!
    Relationships.College.Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. *hugs* I'm loving getting to know you too! And the second a ring slips onto my finger, your invitation gets slipped into the mail! I know we will meet someday :)

    This is such a gorgeous way to look back on the year. It's so cool to be able to see yourself growing and coming into your own. I finally felt my age this year and my confidence no longer needs to be faked. This has been a big growing year. I cannot wait to see what else is in store!

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos , happy near year beautiful x

    ReplyDelete