Thursday, 31 October 2013

#BritishBloggerSelection: An Alternative Halloween

It is that time of year again when people dress up as creepy things, there are horror movies on every channel and I, by rule, find it difficult to sleep for the following week - yes, I scare way too easily! I would like to be able to say that I don't celebrate Halloween because I am a Christian - of course, I am a Christian but I cannot say I don't celebrate it. I try not to get too caught up in the festivities but you can't say the happiness and nice memories that dressing up and free sweets brings to children is a bad thing and I can't help myself but go out in the evening with my family to wander around the village and just be a bit nosey and look at everyone dressed up. I think that there is something great in finding alternatives to Trick or Treating such as little alternative parties where you can still dress up and stuff your face but it is not the real deal. But, in general, I do struggle at this time of year to kind of stop myself from going along with society and just be strong in faith.
So, when I saw the theme for the #BritishBloggerSelection this week was Halloween I really did not know what I would write. I then decided that I would try to create a little alternative costume that capture the fun of dressing up without being too morbid.

Geisha




Just teem this outfit with some white face paint, a neat little up do' and maybe a parasol and you are set to wow at an office party or anywhere else you may be going - maybe you are only going to Tesco but want to create an impression, I don't know!

In the spirit of sharing with lovely people I have discovered an old embarrassing picture of myself from when I dressed up like a Geisha for my GCSE art which I am going to post. I would love to see your outfits if you dressed up in an alternative way this evening - you can tweet me at @TheEmeraldDove or use the hash tag #AlternativeOutfit



I hope you had a lovely day and my post has not depressed you! I also just want to say that I feel this is quite a risky post as I am really opening up to you all with my beliefs and going against the tide so I would love to hear your thoughts on Halloween but please keep in mind that I am sharing my faith on the internet which is a difficult thing to do. Also if you want to know more about my faith you could comment below as I am considering posting my testimony but you can also tweet me or message me at the email address on the side bar.
I hope to hear from you all soon!
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. The kimono is lovely, I've never quite jumped on the kimono bandwagon, but I've seen so many gorgeous outfits with a kimono, I think I need to at least try one on :o). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love kimonos, I just styled one in my blog if you want to have a look :) Beautiful Geisha idea, also, so simple! www.whitneyswonderland.com

      Delete
  2. Lauren, this post is exactly what I needed right now! It's like you were talking to me! I am a Christian too and have never celebrated halloween so I was worried about what to write for #BritishBloggerSelection. I have taken huge inspiration from your post and it's helped me out a lot, thanks :)

    orlajoy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Geisha idea, the kimono is so pretty :) I like the idea of getting in the spirit of it without fully partaking in what it all means. I think you're brave to put your faith out there, well done you :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig