Friday, 27 September 2013

A Seasonal Poem

Some of you may not know this but I love writing stories and poems. I wrote my first story when I was 5 - it is a magical, but hugely plagiarized, tale of unicorns and a fairy kingdom. So, today I wanted to share with you, to truly ring in the colder weather, a poem I wrote last year for a poetry competition which I didn't end up entering as the prize was to write for a magazine but the magazine was pro-hunt and I was not willing to throw over my integrity for a position as a writer - no matter how tempting it was.
I hope you enjoy this and if you would like to see more of this kind of thing be sure to let me know - maybe I could even share my 5 year old story with you if you would like.

Wind and snow, rain and sleet
Mighty oaks refuse defeat
Their leaves now fallen, perished by
Frost and snow that mounts so high
The robin chirps tunes immense
Its feathers being its one defence
Against the numbing frost and snows
And with each day the chill does grow

But as the months flitter by
A hint of change catches the eye
Daffodils raise their weary heads
Arrays of yellow filling beds
And sun seen so long ago
Rises again, everything aglow
A golden globe beaming bright
Filling grey skies with pools of light
Flittering through the blades of green
Emerald fields shine supreme

With sweet sorrow, a short goodbye
Singing a final verse then soaring high
Crimson middle, wings outstretched
Nostalgic emotions it does fetch

As the cold memories are swept away
The children return to their play
Games forgotten throughout December
Re-embraced until September

When wind and snow, rain and sleet

Return triumphant in their feat




If you would like to have a chat you can tweet me @TheEmeraldDove 
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. LOVE this. Mmm I love poems :) You are a great writer; I'd love to see more!

    Em
    Tightrope to the Sun

    ReplyDelete

© The Emerald Dove. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig